A Delaware Certificate of Good Standing is a one-page document issued by the Secretary of State that proves a company’s ability to do business. The Secretary of State will issue one when there is no overdue Delaware franchise tax (or annual reports, in the case of a corporation). Some other states will refer to this document as an “Authority to Conduct Business”. It is emailed by the state and usually sent the same day it is ordered.
Delaware Certificate of Good Standing Facts
1. What is a Delaware Certificate of Good Standing?
- It is a certified document produced by the Delaware Secretary of State’s office. It shows your corporation or LLC meets statutory requirements (filed all reports and paid all fees) and is authorized to do business.
2. Why do I need a certificate of good standing?
- It is used to prove that your company is a valid company that was formed in Delaware and that it is up-to-date with all Franchise taxes. A common use is when a bank may ask for one when you are opening a business.
3. How long does it take to receive a Certificate of Good Standing?
- If we receive your order prior to 4 PM Eastern time, we will be able to send it to you the same business day. This is because the Delaware Secretary of State issues these Certificates as PDFs.
4. How long is my certificate of good standing good for?
- It varies depending on the institution requesting it, but typically a bank or lender will want to see a Certificate of Good standing that was issued by the Secretary of State within the last month or two, and usually no more than 3 – 6 months. Check with the bank or entity requesting the Certificate if you have already obtained one within the last 6 months.
5. Is a Certificate of Good Standing called something else, too?
- A Certificate of Good Standing is called only a Certificate of Good Standing in Delaware. However, other states will refer to this type of document as a “Certificate of Authorization” or “Certificate of Existence”. Banks based in other states will often refer to it by those other names. You may have to explain Delaware’s terminology to the bank and that they are all the same type of Certificate.
6. How do I obtain one?
- You can place an order for one with IncNow by calling 800-759-2248 or order on our website.